By Kim Hutchinson
Happiness is a state of being which blossoms from a series of positive choices. Everyday we are faced with countless choices, some large, some relatively insignificant; yet collectively these choices determine our overall well-being. If you go about your day expecting to be treated unfairly, you will experience exactly that; whereas if you choose to be positive, you will elicit a pleasant response from the majority of people whom you encounter. It is a very simple principal in the universe – like attracts like.
The angels say you should examine the pattern of your thoughts and be mindful of the energy you emit. Listen to the words you use. Examine your daily rituals. Is your life a true reflection of your highest self? If it is not, then it is time to ditch those old behaviours that are ineffective.
For example, if you constantly find yourself embroiled in other people’s drama, ask yourself why. Are you in fact allowing yourself to be drawn into their drama in order to avoid facing your own problems? Do you engage in gossip? Do you follow the topsy turvy private lives of celebrities? Are you a fan of soap operas? These are all distractions designed to make our lives look better by comparison.
Alternatively, do you subconsciously deflect your problems onto others, feeling angry whenever you recognize your own shortcomings in other people? This is a classic avoidance technique used by your ego to shield you from the truth that is your soul.
You can only be happy over a prolonged period of time when you live your life with integrity. Pleasure derived from distractions and deflections is a shallow and fickle substitute for true bliss. The only way to obtain a blessed state of happiness is to purge your life of negative influences. This can seem like a monumental task at first, but as with any great undertaking, it can be broken down into very achievable small steps. Here are a few key pointers:
- Restrict the amount of time you spend with negative people. This is pivotal to your success. Negative people deplete your reserves and they draw you into their misery. We do not help negative people by sharing their burden; in fact, we become enablers. Before long, we are involved in co-dependent relationships with them. The best thing you can do for negative people is to be a role model for happiness – from a distance.
- Limit the amount of negative media you ingest. Avoid violent and/or depressing television shows and movies as they will only compound your unhappiness. Stop watching the news. Most news programs today are driven by profit. They tend to sensationalize events instead of simply presenting them factually. Watching the evening news or reading the paper will not give you an accurate view of events, but it may give you an ulcer.
- Watch what you say about yourself and others. Are you in the habit of putting yourself or other people down? If you are, then you need to let go of old guilt and forgive yourself. Remember, you are a child of God and God does not make mistakes. Love yourself as God loves you, and you will be able to love others in the same way. When you experience negative thoughts or reactions, just let them drift away and then recall a time when you were happy. Before long, you will actually start to feel more upbeat.
- Fill your home with light. Clean out the clutter and only keep the stuff that really makes you happy. Open the windows and air out your house. Pick wildflowers and put them in every room. Redecorate and install better lighting. Practice Feng Shui. Make you home a sanctuary, a place of peace and relaxation where you can go to decompress and to recharge your batteries.
- Do what you love. Leave your job if it does not fulfill you. If you follow your passion, you will be successful. Do not let money or prestige be a false substitute for happiness.
- Be with those you love. Find a mate who makes your heart sing. Spend time with dear friends and family members who share your values and passions. Join like-minded groups and other communities. The more time you spend with people who are on the same soul path as you, the more uplifted and confident you will feel.
Happiness is not achieved externally; it is a state of being. You can be happy anywhere, anytime if you only choose to be.